2019年10月29日星期二

How do Chinese restaurants view Westerners eating with chopsticks?

Chopsticks are the main tableware for Chinese food and a representative of Chinese food culture. Chopsticks match the size of our food and the fit of the plate. Unlike Westerners' tableware, they are used to utensils such as cutlery. When using chopsticks, they feel that this is awkward and food is hard to eat.

In Chinese restaurants abroad, because Chinese food is sold here, chopsticks are still used in tableware, and sometimes a few spoons are added for Westerners to put food in the bowl (many spoons also play The role of public chopsticks).

When Westerners are not used to chopsticks, some Westerners are particularly concerned about how Chinese restaurants treat them to eat with chopsticks.

On the quora, there is a question from foreigners asking, “How do Chinese restaurants view Westerners eating with chopsticks?” In fact, Westerners who are used to Chinese culinary chopsticks in foreign Chinese restaurants will not laugh at them.

Now let's take a look at how Westerners answer this question. Some foreigners think too much.

Some foreign netizens replied: Because I am a Westerner who has lived in China for more than 10 years. When I went to a restaurant here, even in a top city with many foreigners, sometimes someone would give me a fork. Many restaurant staff just take it for granted that foreigners prefer to use forks, and I always snicker and refuse. Most of the time, they are just poised. At other times, they watched me use the chopsticks in awe.

There are also foreign netizens who replied: As early as the early 1990s, I went to a Chinese restaurant with another couple. My friend had some trouble using chopsticks and taught them a lot. I think I might be a little bored. I noticed that the boss is behind. He looked at us and his mouth was actually open. He began to pace back and forth, I think he was thinking about his two-year-old daughter to solve this problem. After a few more minutes, he walked over with anger and gave a quick lesson to my friend in English. I don't know if this helps my friend, but the boss seems to be relieved. I said this, I smiled very happily.

There are also foreign netizens who answered, and he said: Well, once I was eating here, I ordered the morel fried noodles (the chef likes to mix the morel together), and I keep some of the morels to eat the last bite. It was too slippery, and the morel was squeezed out of the chopsticks over and over again. I used a small straw to suck it up and throw it into my mouth. The waiter blinked a few times and was obviously shocked. "Sir!" He finally spoke. "For a foreigner, you are very smart."

There are also foreign netizens replied: Even if you are not Asian, using chopsticks in Chinese restaurants is cool, no one will smile at you. I grew up in San Francisco. Naturally, my friends are mostly Asians. I sometimes go to their homes to eat. If I want a fork, I feel very embarrassed.

There are also foreign netizens who replied: I have been working in Chinese restaurants for many years, and some of the antics of the customers did not use chopsticks correctly. Use chicken chopsticks to make chicken legs, use chopsticks to make darts, try to eat glutinous rice grains, take chopsticks in each hand, poke food, try to drink soup with chopsticks, and play swords with chopsticks. The correct etiquette is not to play with chopsticks, you will not see Chinese children doing this.

There are also foreign netizens replied: For us, these natural left-handers, we are a joke, a weirdo. Use chopsticks in the process of growing up, use chopsticks with your right hand, and even cook chopsticks. I have encountered this situation in restaurants. They found that I used chopsticks in my left hand, from a weird smile to pointing me to other employees. They usually find it very interesting. I am used to it. I have always been their joke.

By Best Chopsticks

没有评论: